CMS is staying true to plans to implement a new payment model.
The 2020 PPS proposed rule, which was posted to the Federal Register July 11, reinforces the plan to implement the Patient-Driven Groupings Model (PDGM) beginning on or after Jan. 1, 2020.
The model will move from 60-day episodes to 30-day payment periods.
While the PDGM is still designed to be budget-neutral, the proposed rule outlines a total 8.01% decrease due to changes CMS anticipates agencies will make in response to the new model.
The proposed rule also seeks to:
- Allow physical therapy assistants to furnish maintenance therapy.
- Set routine updates to the home infusion therapy payment rates for CY2020 and propose payment provisions for these services in CY2021 and future years.
- Modify payment regulations related to the content of the home health plan of care.
- Make changes to the value-based purchasing model.
- Change, add and remove measures in the Home Health Quality Reporting Program.